We know our viewers or students learning online are interested in learning Korean language who may want to know how they can learn Korean language through self study since most of the people learning Korean language are either scholars studying subjects apart from Korean or doing jobs. In order to be fluent in Korean language it needs lots of time, effort and practice and also the right direction in which you invest your time and energy.
Korean language is easy to understand for Indian learners but still it's considered among tough languages to learn because of its intense and different grammar pattern different from English but it is still quite easy to understand for Hindi speakers.
So today I'll be talking about those points which you have to keep in mind for studying Korean.
To answer the first and foremost question of whether you can study on your own.
The answer is Yes !!
Learning a language is like building up a skill which takes lots of time and effort in order to polish your skills and results may differ from each person.
Many learners are either students or doing jobs which may not allow them to have enough time to self study and dedicate or spend their time on looking for resources and checking their authenticity.
All the material that you want in order to get the basic information on Korean is easily available online including the information regarding grammar, workbook and vocabulary is available online, which you can get if you thoroughly search.
The area where students lack mostly is in maintaining a schedule and preparing enough material for practice.
Even if you go through the grammar patterns but you won't be able to use until and unless you put a lot of practice by writing it down in the form of keeping journals or talking to yourself or with your online friends as ways of language exchange.
The hurdles students face while self studying Korean language may be :
- Lack of reliable and authentic resources.
- No schedule and timetable followed.
- Lack of speaking and listening practice which may lead to forgetfulness or not advancing in learning language.
- Constant waste of energy on finding right answers and making mistakes.
- Wrong initial steps may not turn fruitful.
- Stuck in each level.
- Lack of confidence in framing sentences or holding conversations even after clearing certain levels.
- The process of self learning takes much longer.
Not having any sole guidance makes the learning process even harder since you have to correct yourself and be your own teacher when you're still learning.
There are many trials and errors which may sound like a waste of time and effort.
We've also uploaded videos following SNU Korean level 1 lessons. You can check below.
Things to keep in mind in order to learn Korean through self study :
- Follow one reliable resource.
- Have a definite goal to achieve and stick to it.
- Make notes and speak out loud while studying.
- Focus on memorizing the grammar patterns and vocabulary mentioned in your reference book.
- Practice making sentences with the learnt vocabulary and grammar by giving yourself small elementary level tasks of writing ten lines on your favourite books or pet etc.
- Refer to Naver dictionary instead of Google translator.
Having a proper teacher or tutor actually takes the burden away from your part and decides what is necessary and sufficient for you at the moment. So instead of spending time looking for reliable, authentic resources you can simply focus on memorizing and putting more practice while learning.
How is having a teacher makes learning Korean easy and effective ?
- The resources provided will be reliable and authentic.
- A proper timetable will allow you to give enough time to language learning out of your busy schedule without wasting any time.
- Overall development of the students in all 4 spheres of learning a language be it speaking, reading, writing or listening with regular monitoring and corrections.
- No waste of time in looking for assurance or correct answers.
- The base of the target language will be clear which will allow you to learn language in an effective way.
- You won't find yourself stuck in each level figuring the way out. The tutor will take care of all the things necessary for growth.
- You'll achieve the confidence to be able to hold conversations and frame sentences in no given time while learning the language itself.
- You won't lack in several grammar patterns and vocabulary words in each level.
- The process of learning is much faster than any other way.
Having a teacher is not compulsory but it sure is required when you are clear with the basics but need guidance to attain intermediate level or even advanced level of fluency.
If you don't want to waste any more of your time and get to learn Korean in another 6 to 9 months you can check out our course providing Korean language exclusive to Indian learners.
It's one of a kind India's first online course where we provide opportunities for the learners to talk to the native Korean speakers and ensure the overall growth of students with constant checking of work and feedback.
Thank you so much for making this far. You may ask your questions or comment your suggestions down below.