The Graduate School of Korean Studies is seeking applications for 2024 spring semester. All the details are mentioned below.
◦ Tuition fees are fully waived for all international students. ◦
76.5% of international students benefit from the Government Grant, being provided with the monthly stipend of 800,000KRW for a year, renewable upon evaluation.
◦ Part-time job opportunities on campus are available as division assistants, dormitory assistants or research assistants
◦ Since March 2019, we have been a certified institution by the IEQAS (International Education Quality Assurance System) of the Ministry of Education for the international-student-friendly and supportive environments.
◦ A 5:1 student-faculty ratio enables close one-on-one guidance of students by professors.
◦ Students are encouraged to take part in the AKS’ research projects because we, as an affiliate of a research institution, put a high value on links between research and education.
◦ Korean language courses specifically designed for academic purposes are available free of charge.
◦ Various programs such as tutoring, writing clinic, cultural activities, and airfare subsidy for presentation in overseas conferences support student’s academic performance
◦ On-campus dormitory accommodations are available at the rate of 543,000KRW per semester(from late February to early August), double occupancy.
◦ A gym and a table tennis room are available free of charge.
※The above schedule is subject to change under the unforeseen circumstances.
Online Application and Application Fee Payment
10:00 September 13
~ 17:00 September 27, 2023
Submission Deadline of a Letter of Recommendation
17:00 October 4
Announcement of the Interviewees List
17:00 November 8
To be notified by email
A Video Interview
the Final Selection Result
17:00 December 8
To be notified by email
Submission Deadline for Original Documents
17:00 January 12, 2024
Only applicable to successful candidates
Beginning of the Spring Semester
March 1, 2024
PROGRAMS AND MAJOR OFFERED
◦ For information of each major, please visit grad.aks.ac.kr, click ENG at the top and Major Information, and select a division and a major of interest.
-Coursework period is 2 years for a Master's degree program and 3 years for a doctoral degree program.
- An academic year consists of two semesters and courses are provided for 15 weeks per semester. A spring semester begins in March, a fall semester in September.
- Most courses are taught in Korean, while courses in Korean Cultural Studies are provided in English.
A. 1st Process
Document Screening Document screening is held for applicants who meet all the application requirements. Overall evaluation of applicants' research plan, academic ability, language proficiency, and academic background (shown in personal statement and a recommendation letter) takes place.
B. 2nd Process
A Video Interview A video interview is held to those who passed the document screening. Interview schedule will be informed individually. Applicants who do not participate in the interview are automatically disqualified.
A. Online Application
Application Period :
10:00 Wed 13 September ~ 17:00 Wed 27 September, 2023 (Korean Standard Time) Applicant’s information should be saved and required files uploaded at gradaks.recruiter.co.kr. An applicant’s English name provided in the online application should be the full name shown in the passport.
B. Successful Applicants’ Documents Submission
◦ Successful applicants should submit an original copy (as opposed to a xeroxed or a scanned copy) of some of the required documents including a certificate of graduation and official transcripts by post after the selection result is announced, NOT at the time of application.
◦At the time of application, applicants are required to upload scanned copy of certificates instead of sending the original copy by post.
◦ Successful applicants must provide original copy of certificates by submission deadline. Inadequate submission will lead to cancellation of admission. It is highly recommended that applicants begin to prepare for original copy of required documents early in advance as it may take longer than expected to get some official documents.
◦ Submission Details for Selected Applicants
- Submission Deadline : 17:00 Friday 12 January 2024 (Korean Standard Time).
※Documents should be received by the above deadline. Having said that, it is acceptable that applicants who have not graduated yet from a university or a graduate school at the time of application submit the apostilled or consular-confirmed certificate of graduation and official transcripts that are issued after graduation by 29 February 2024.
- Documents should be sent by post to the following address:
(In English) International Student Advisor The Graduate School of Korean Studies The Academy of Korean Studies Haogae-ro 323, Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do Republic of Korea (Postcode: 13455).
(In Korean) 경기도 성남시 분당구 하오개로 323 ( : 13455) 한국학중앙연구원 한국학대학원 교학실 우편번호 특별전형 담당자
The document requirements are different for masters and doctoral program. Please go to the official website and download the guideline PDF to check the document requirements for your degree.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR APPLICANTS
A. Applicant’s information provided in the application form must be authentic and truthful. If provided information turns out to be false or untruthful, the applicant's admission can be revoked.
B. Additional documents might be requested, if they are considered necessary for the admission process.
C. The scores/grades of the admission are not open to the public including applicants themselves.
D. Documents submitted will not be returned.
E. All of the certificates should be written in Korean or in English, otherwise they need to be translated and notarized. - 16 -
F. A certificate of admission which is required to apply for student(d-2) visa is offered to successful applicants only after an original copy of verified academic certificates and a bank statement is received.
G. Students should pay their boarding fees and other living expenses at their own expense.
H. Obligation to Acquire TOPIK Level 6 (or TOPIK level 4) for Graduation.
International students except in Korean Cultural Studies must attain TOPIK level 6 in order to graduate.
International students in Korean Cultural Studies must attain TOPIK level 4 in order to graduate.
Applicants are advised to read all the details carefully and verify it from the official website.